Friday, August 13, 2010

The Pursuit

The goal is in sight.  It is shiny, it is mysterious, it is new and I want it.  There was a time that I did not have the ability or wherewithall to traverse this great distance, but that time has come to pass.  I will claw and sratch and push my way toward the finish line if need be, but I will not be denied.  The route is filled with obstacles to manuveur, but I will prevail.  I will claim my prize. 

The treasure is within reach.  I can almost taste the victory ...

But what is this?  A force lurking in the shadow ... casting his shadow down upon me.  I must move faster. I must outrun my pursuer.  I must savor the flavor of triumph.

Just a few more inches and the thing that I covet, the thing that will make me whole will be mine ...

But there they are.  They have come again.  The vice grips of disappointment grasping at my chest ... pulling me back, up and away from the spoils of my sojourn.

Don't misunderstand me, the darkness, the shadow is not frightening, not scary.  The force is simultaneously constricting, yet comforting, impeding, yet reassuring.  In a strange way, it feels proper, it feels right.

I am not afraid.  I am determined, insistent, unrelenting and resolute.  But not afraid ... for I know that no matter what dangers may lie ahead, my salvation will be prowling in the shadows waiting to draw me back and cast me into a new direction.

3 comments:

  1. I'll bite... is this about your baby crawling towards something only to be picked up and taken away when she gets within reach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that was the inspiration, but as I wrote it, the parallels to life kept permeating my thinking. So I kept in vague on purpose, hopefully to get people thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you accomplished just that. It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Dad Blogs Wordless Wednesday