Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Understudy

As I sit here writing, Julie is perched in the family room captivating the children.  There are a couple of dozen books strewn about and the kids are taking turns (yes, actually taking turns) bringing them to Julie for her to read.  I try my best to take care of them and keep them stimulated, and for the most part I do an adequate job.  The problem is, it does not come naturally for me.  I love to play with them, to cuddle on the couch and relax, but it does not come naturally to me on how to keep them stimulated throughout the day (sans TV).

Julie has a teachers heart and soul.  She wants to answer all of their questions, whether trivial or profound.  She has a patience that eludes me for the tasks of crafts or finger paints.  She creates an aura of learning that feeds the children's excitement and wonder.

On Thursday I had a business lunch to attend so I dropped the kids off to Julie at the church.  She had some work to do in one of the classrooms and they were going to "play" and/or "help".  I put those two words in quotes because the kids rarely play without clambering for attention or help without creating more work.  When I returned to the church I noticed little work had been accomplished.  I know that this would be frustrating for Julie because the deadline for the work to be done was fast approaching.  Put me in a similar situation, you will experience a grouchy, short tempered man.  Put Julie into this situation ... and I received a hearty welcome and was ushered to my seat to observe a concert and a play.  Instead of giving into the frustration, she rolled with it and engaged them in an activity that brought them all together.  Julie can really bring the fun!  Julie grabbed the microphone, played the music and they performed a two number set with singing, dancing and some expert tambourine playing.  Then we watched as Zach and Zane put on a play featuring a prince and his new throne.

Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason.  While often exaggerated they are rooted in common characteristics and truth.  Women are known to be better suited to care for children while men are built to be the provider.  I once thought "That is just a choice, I can do this".  But the truth is, God has built us differently, so that we can achieve a singular goal.  Julie was given the temperament and upbringing to be a Mom.  To care for her children.  To teach them humility, respect, caring, along with there ABC's and 123's.  And the further we get into this "experiment", the more that I realize that  I am just the stand-in or the understudy to the true star of the show.

I sense that there may be change in the air ... stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. steve... just when i think your blog can't get any better or give me more chilly bumps... man... this is a "print this out and frame it" one... wow........ absolutely beautiful... absolutely priceless... what a absolute GIFT to julie btw... you are speaking her love language times a 1,000... ♥

    ReplyDelete

Dad Blogs Wordless Wednesday