Saturday, July 31, 2010

An update on the Kids

I have come to a sort of realization that I am not doing a whole lot of writing about the kids.  They are growing so quickly and keeping so busy that it is all I can do to keep up their basic needs, much less keep tabs on the happenings of the day and record it in blog form.

Also, somewhere along the way, I have misplaced the ability to be funny (I think I sat it next to my ability to carry on a conversation with another adult; they are bound to show up any day now).  Now I am not claiming to be a world class comedian, but from time to time I could write to invoke a LOL, an ROFL, or even the elusive ROTFLMAO.  But that time has seemed to have passed.  I hold out hope that I may once again be able to find my funny, but I will not hold my breath though.  Recently, I have been able to narrow down its location into the vicinity of my lost sleep.

In my younger days (I know that I am only 31, but they say you are as old as you feel and these days I feel like I could be writing to you from beyond the grave) I thought that tired was a state of mind.  I could just will myself to have the energy to make it through the day, completing all that needed to be done.  But either my will has diminished or I am humbly learning what it means to really be tired.  Take a look at the excerpt below from an article about the affect sleep deprivation has on the brain:

The frontal lobe is the most fascinating section of the brain with relation to sleep deprivation. Its functions are associated with speech as well as novel and creative thinking (5). Sleep deprived test subjects have difficulties thinking of imaginative words or ideas. Instead, they tend to choose repetitious words or clichéd phrases. Also, a sleep-deprived individual is less able to deliver a statement well. The subject may show signs of slurred speech, stuttering, speaking in a monotone voice, or speaking at a slower pace than usual (6). Subjects in research studies also have a more difficult time reacting well to unpredicted rapid changes. Sleep deprived people do not have the speed or creative abilities to cope with making quick but logical decisions, nor do they have the ability to implement them well.


So that's it, I have located my funny and my conversation skills.  They are hidden away in my frontal lobe under lock and key, guarded by unobtainable sleep (and the boogeyman and possibly a goblin or two).  


But I digress ... Would you look at what I have done.  I stated writing about one thing, but then I spent 3 paragraphs talking about me, biology and my frontal lobe.  


It reminds me of a joke:


How many sleep deprived parents does it take to change a light bulb?
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
"Honey!  Why am I in the utility closet?"


What was I talking about anyway?  Oh well, time for bed ... 

2 comments:

  1. First, I'm impressed that you're just now learning about sleep deprivation. Being the father of four, I assumed that you had somehow discovered the cure to such an evil ailment. With both of my children, the sleep deprivation that came with a newborn was nearly impossible to handle. And in both cases (one being a difficult baby and the other being easy) it was still bad enough that we don't want more.

    Second, I am sorry to see that you haven't been writing much (I tend to text myself ideas and then stock pile when I do have time to write - usually after the kids are in bed). I love your writing, but not just for the sake of an lol. You just have a style that makes it very apparent that you adore your kids. It's well worth the time to read even if sometimes there is no laugh. It's refreshing all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed... its well worth reading even if there's no laugh :)

    jen

    ReplyDelete

Dad Blogs Wordless Wednesday